Did you know flossing for 3 minutes, once a day significantly decreases your chances of gum disease and increases the overall health of your mouth? Flossing is essential to clean between your teeth and around your gumline where gum disease originates.
Choose a time that works best for your schedule, like bedtime or first thing in the morning as well as a floss that works best for you and your oral anatomy. Floss comes in a variety of flavors and thicknesses, so there are options to choose from.
Follow these simple steps and floss your way to a perfect smile:
- Floss each tooth thoroughly with a clean section of floss.
- Wind 18″ of floss around the middle fingers of each hand. Pinch 1-2″ of floss between your thumbs and index fingers.
- Use your thumbs to glide the floss between your upper teeth. Then repeat for your lower teeth.
- Use a zigzag motion to guide the floss between each tooth.
- Partially wrap the floss around the side of each tooth.
- Then gently slide the floss up and down against each tooth surface and under the gumline.
Flossing is often overlooked, however it is just as important as brushing your teeth and should be completed at least once a day. Just think you are only 3 minutes away from a healthy smile!