What Is Bruxism?
Bruxism or teeth grinding, is the habitual grinding and clenching of teeth that typically occurs at night.
There are varying levels of teeth grinding. Severe bruxism can lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth and other problems. Milder cases might not require treatment.
It is important to be able to identify the causes and symptoms in order to address it.
- Stress, Anger, Frustration or Tension
- Abnormal alignment of upper and lower teeth (malocclusion)
- Sleep Apnea
- Acid Reflux
- A Focusing Habit
The Signs and Symptoms:
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth
- Increased tooth sensitivity often resulting in tooth recession
- Jaw or face pain or soreness
- Tired or tight jaw muscles
- Dull headache
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Indentations on your tongue
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or are concerned you may be suffering from bruxism, we can help you address this condition with a custom fitted night guard. Ask us at your next appointment!