Flossing is an important part of any oral hygiene routine, however if you aren’t doing it correctly then it doesn’t count. Ensuring you are utilizing the proper flossing technique is critical to cleaning away the debris that gets caught between your teeth.
It’s this debris that can cause oral complications such as gingivitis, cavities and periodontal disease.
Here are a few essential tips for flossing effectively:
- Don’t skimp on the floss! Use approximately 18 inches of floss so you can hold it correctly and get the right grip.
- Be sure to tighten the floss by holding it between your thumb and index fingers. Use an up and down motion to guide it between your teeth.
- Holding the floss firmly against your tooth, curve it around the base making a “C” shape to go gently below the gumline.
- As you make your way around your mouth, use fresh sections of floss.
- If you are having a hard time with traditional floss, tools like floss picks or interdental brushes can help!
If you have questions about your flossing routine or if you would like a demonstration, ask us at your next appointment!